Ontario Increases Transit Support for Mississauga CentrePublished on March 01, 2021
Ontario Increases Transit Support for Mississauga Centre
New funding provides added relief to ensure transit remains a reliable travel option for those who depend on it
[MISSISSAUGA] – Ontario is providing $30,393,091 in funding to help Mississauga address the financial impacts on its transit system from the COVID-19 pandemic. This funding is in addition to the $2 billion previously committed by Ontario and the federal government through the Safe Restart Agreement to help municipalities continue to deliver critical transit services through the Safe Restart Agreement with. During the peak of the pandemic, ridership dropped up to 90% of normal levels for some of Ontario’s transit systems, which resulted in significant financial impacts for municipalities.
“This is great news for Mississauga, and the robust transit system that it boasts,” said MPP Natalia Kusendova. “COVID-19 continues to have an impact on many aspects of our city, and our transit system is no different. This additional funding will ensure MiWay can continue to operate effectively, and therefore continue to provide a vital service for those in our community who depend on it on a daily basis.”
The additional $150 million in provincial funding means that there is a total of $650 million in funding still available to municipalities up to December 31, 2021, with extensions to December 2022 granted on a case-by-case basis. In addition, Ontario is calling on the federal government to match the additional funding announced today to help ensure municipal financial needs continue to be met.
“We heard from municipalities and we are responding to their need for more support as COVID-19 continues to result in lost revenue and additional costs for transit systems,” said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation. “Transit operators have done an incredible job keeping transit operating during this challenging time, and this support will help ensure there is reliable transportation for people can get to work or pick up essential items.”
As part of the Safe Restart Agreement funding, municipalities need to work with the province to explore options to ensure local transit is safe, sustainable, affordable and integrated, both during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.
To support this work, Ontario is allowing municipalities to use Safe Restart Agreement funding towards new initiatives to make it easier and more affordable to travel between different transit systems, like adding capacity for on-demand microtransit and increasing fare and service integration across the region.
“We are committed to supporting our municipal partners in their mission to build back transit ridership when we come out of this pandemic,” said Associate Minister Kinga Surma. “We recognise there’s an opportunity now to work with our partners to ensure transit is safe, sustainable and affordable, both during COVID-19 and as we begin to recover.”
“The people of Mississauga rely on public transit infrastructure that is reliable and accessible,” said The Honourable Omar Alghabra, Minister of Transport and M.P. for Mississauga Centre. "That’s why our government, through the Safe Restart Agreement, is investing in public transit. Today's announcement will also contribute to growing our economy, creating good middle class jobs and improving the lives of our fellow citizens.”
“I’d like to thank both the Governments of Ontario and Canada for announcing this important funding for Mississauga to help us offset the financial impacts COVID-19,” said Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie. “Mayors across Ontario had been strongly advocating for more supports, and I’m so happy that our government partners listened and stepped up. The funding will be critical in our ability to maintain quality service on our MiWay transit system that residents in Mississauga have come to expect.”
“This additional investment from the Ontario Government is welcome news to our community,” said Nina Tangri, MPP for Mississauga-Streetsville. “This funding supplements the $2 billion committed to municipalities under the Safe Restart Agreement and will support our municipal partners in providing safe and reliable transit.”
"The COVID-19 crisis has greatly impacted Mississauga Transit and we appreciate the Province's response in supporting this vital infrastructure in our region,” said Kaleed Rasheed, MPP for Mississauga East-Cooksville. "Our communities rely on public transit, and this additional funding will assist the city in ensuring the transit system remains available as we safely restart our economy.”
"This historic investment will provide almost $31 million in immediate relief for the City of Mississauga and the Region of Peel, to help ensure that our local transit services are safe and reliable, both during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond”, said Rudy Cuzzetto, MPP for Mississauga-Lakeshore. “We recognise that the success of our municipalities is key to Ontario's economic recovery, and we will continue to ensure our municipal and regional partners have the funding they need to deliver critical services."
“This is such great news for constituents in Mississauga, and all across Ontario,” said Sheref Sabawy, MPP for Mississauga-Erin Mills. “It is no doubt that COVID-19 continues to impact our transit system. This funding will ensure local transit can continue to operate and provide a vital service for those who need it. Our Government continues to put Ontarians first, it is a testament to our commitment to supporting Mississauga and its residents during these unprecedented circumstances”
“The continued funding to ensure that Mississauga can continue to provide safe access to transit services to all its residents is welcome. My riding of Mississauga-Malton is a hub for new immigrants and more than one fifth of residents use public transportation to get to work, which is five percent higher than the city average. In these communities and others with high numbers of vulnerable populations, where the use of transit is not optional but a necessity, the sustained support from the provincial government is great news.” Said MPP Anand.
- The federal-provincial Safe Restart Agreement is providing up to a total $4 billion in emergency funding to help Ontario’s municipalities deliver critical services.
- The first phase of Safe Restart funding flowed $700 million to municipalities in 2020 and to date $1.5 billion funding has been allocated.