Ford Government to Build New School & Support Students in MississaugaPublished on August 13, 2020
Ford Government to Build New School & Support Students in Mississauga
Province Approves New Elm Drive Public School August 13, 2020
Ontario's government is protecting what matters most by investing in new local schools to help provide our students with a world-class education system that ensures they have the skills they need to succeed. The province has given approval to tender up to $15.8M for a new Elm Drive Public School in Mississauga, Ontario.
The new school will accommodate 650 new student spaces, 4 child care rooms and 1 EarlyON Child and Family Centre room. This investment is part of the province’s capital investment program to support students with better learning spaces.
“Our government is pleased to support the building of the new Elm Drive Public School” said Natalia Kusendova MPP for Mississauga Centre. “With this announcement, our government is investing in the future of students, growing a community of life-long learners and responsible global citizens who champion their own success.”
“From modernizing our curriculum to revitalizing our classrooms and their facilities, we are investing in our students and giving them every tool to achieve their full potential,” said Education Minister Stephen Lecce. “Our financing of student spaces and the child care additions Elm Drive Public School further demonstrates our government’s historic investment in capital projects and our overall commitment to supporting public education in Ontario.”
“We are thankful to the government for making this investment in the rapidly emerging City Centre community,” said Trustee John Marchant, who represents Wards 1 and 7. “I look forward to the opening of this new elementary school which will support the learning needs of Kindergarten to Grade 8 students and set up future generations of students for success.”
A few highlights of the new Elm Drive Public School include:
• 650 New student spaces
• 4 child care rooms with 73 child care spaces
• 1 EarlyON Child and Family Centre room
• The Ford Government is protecting what matters most by working with school board partners to invest in capital projects that advance student learning.
• The Ford Government announced in Budget 2019 that over the next ten years, Ontario is investing nearly $13 billion in capital grants, including allocating over $500M this year alone to improve classrooms for our children.
• This massive investment will build new schools and help existing schools after a decade of Liberal closures and maintenance backlog.
• This funding could be used to replace aging heating or air conditioning systems, repair roofs and windows, and install important accessibility features like elevators and ramps.
• The Ministry of Education is currently accepting submissions from school boards for their top 10 school-based capital priorities for funding consideration as well as support for the expansion of childcare spaces.
• The Ministry reviews all Capital Priorities submissions for eligibility and announces successful projects annually.
MPP NATALIA KUSENDOVA CONTACT
708-10 Kingsbridge Garden Circle
Mississauga, ON L5R 3K7
Tel: (905) 890-1901
Email: [email protected]